Monday, July 6, 2015

week 39

Dear Family and Friends,
This week while knocking we talked to someone who was nice but said some things that honestly hurt to hear. She said she had heard of the Book of Mormon so we asked her if she had read it and she said no and that she didn't believe in it. We taught how the Book of Mormon only supports the Bible and is another Testament of Jesus Christ and invited her to read it but she said she didn't believe in Joseph Smith (who we hadn't actually mentioned yet) or the Book of Mormon. She said she knew it wasn't true and said she'd prayed and felt that the Bible is the only word of God, but she hadn't even taken to the time to actually read in the Book of Mormon.I guess that's the thing that hurt the most- that she refused to even read the Book of Mormon, to even find out for herself whether it was true or not. It hurts to see someone deny the divinity of something you know is of God and refuse to hear anymore about it. I know that anyone who takes the time to actually read in and ponder about the Book or Mormon will know that it testifies of Christ and teaches of Him and helps us more fully understand the Atonement and Christ's teachings and God's commandments. You will know that the Book of Mormon only contains good things that are truly of God and are given to us for our benefit, because God loves us, His children.
I know the things I'm experiencing and learning about on my mission are going to help me so much the rest of my life. I know that God is real and that He answers prayers. I know prayer is a wonderful thing and that God listens to us and cares about what we are experiencing and our struggles. He answers in His own way and in His own time and we just have to trust in Him.
On a different note, I am officially a missionary in the Yakima Mission! The mission split on July 1st. My companion and I got to meet President Lewis and his wife with the rest of our zone on Friday and they are incredible people. I know they love us missionaries and are happy to be with us. I'm excited to learn from them.
I also wanted to express the gratitude I have for those who have served to protect our country's freedom and those who still are. Some scriptures I read that I liked are Alma 43:47 and Mosiah 29:32 that talk about the importance of freedom. They help me realize that America is truly a special country and has been watched over by God but that we need to continue to trust in Him and be obedient to His commandments otherwise things will not always be so great.
I love you all! I hope everyone had a wonderful week and that this next week will be great too!
Hermana Brighton