Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 77

Dear Family and Friends,
This week has been great! I've enjoyed getting to get to know more and more the people here in Othello. There are some amazing members in the wards here and I'll be forever grateful for their examples.
I am also related to a good amount of people here and yesterday my companion and I went to go visit Betty Jenkins. She is a widow in the ward and also my great great aunt. It was incredible to get to talk with her a little bit and I was able to ask her about my great grandpa and learn a little more about my ancestors. I'm so grateful for the emphasis on families that the church teaches, and that as we live the gospel of Jesus Christ we can truly find greater happiness in our families.
Something I have been thinking about lately is how I'm grateful for the commandments and that I've chosen to be obedient. I'm not perfect but I'm trying. I know that the commandments are there to protect us and help us be more capable of making good choices. I was also thinking about how many of the heartaches and struggles we experience in our lives can be drawn back to a time or times when a commandment was broken or not followed. Obviously there are some sufferings, like sicknesses and physical ailments that don't always come from being disobedient, but a lot of suffering could be avoided if everyone just followed God's commandments.
This next weekend is General Conference! I hope everyone will take the time to really watch and ponder about what is said by our living prophets, apostles and leaders. What a blessing it is to have such wonderful people to lead and guide us. I know that they receive specific revelation from God to help us and what they say is important and we should pay attention.
I hope everyone has a wonderful week and that you had a wonderful Easter as well and that you took the time to think about the reason behind the holiday. I'm grateful for Christ and His perfect example. It gives me hope and strength to continue forward in righteousness as I think about Him and all He's done for each one of us.
Love,
Hermana Brighton               You may recognize Elder Leavitt- he was in our ward before the last ward split. This pic is from the mission blog.