Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week 4

So another week has flown by! 

I've been busy learning the gospel in Spanish. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed a bit but I just keep pushing on one week, one day, one hour at a time. Currently my companion and I are teaching 4 separate investigators. We teach two of them everyday, and the other two we alternate between every other day except Sunday and Thursday.

I have been practicing a solo to audition with to sing in a devotional, and while practicing yesterday the woman in charge of the musical numbers heard me and told me not to worry about auditioning and that I probably could sing either this Sunday or next. The song is Abide with Me, Tis Eventide in english, but I'm singing it in Spanish, and it's a beautiful arrangement. I really love this song and it's interesting to see how the translation into Spanish isn't exact and is actually a little different. I like it though.

At some point this week the electricity went out one night. Luckily it was not long after we'd turned the lights out, and the only reason we realized the electricity was out was because the carbon monoxide sensor started beeping like crazy. We were able to call reception and make sure the reason it was going off was because the electricity went out, then we took out the batteries and went back to bed leaving our windows open just for precaution. We found out the next day the elders in our district had just ignored the beeping and gone to bed, which I'd have to say is pretty impressive because it was quite obnoxious. I guess they ended up taking the battery out also the next morning though.

A spiritual though: New revelation does not discredit previous or existing revelation. In my opinion it often builds on it or brings greater understanding. The Book of Mormon definitely does this and I'm so grateful for this book. I've been reading in Alma about the Anti-Nefi-Lehi people and they are amazing and so are the sons of Mosiah. There is a lot I can learn from them, like their persistence in sharing the gospel, even when others told them that there was no point. My love for the Book of Mormon really has grown since being here. I often spend a majority of my personal study time in the morning just reading and learning from the Book of Mormon.

On a side note, Happy Late Halloween! It was fun thinking about how lots of my friends and family were probably out trick or treating, while I was sitting inside studying. I hope everyone had a lot of fun! One of our teacher's mom made our district little bags of candy. One kind of candy I really really liked in it was called Frosh and sadly unless I come back to Mexico I probably won't get to have that again. I will be keeping my eyes open for it though. The tienda here also sells a candy called Bueno bars and they are delicious. All the Elders in my district are in love with them, and I'll admit I really like them too.

Well I hope everyone is doing well!
Love,
Hna Brighton