Thursday, November 13, 2014

Week Five

Dear Family and Friends,

My time in Mexico is drawing to a close, and almost too quickly for my liking. I will really miss the friends I have made while being here for the last several weeks.

Here is a quote that I really like which was shared with me by a friend, and am going to try to keep in mind as I go through out my mission. "The best antidote I know for worry is work, the best medicine for despair is service. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired." -Gordan B. Hinckley

This past Sunday for our 'movie' night as I like to call it, we watched Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration. I loved it so much and felt the spirit so strongly during it, and afterwards while discussing it with my district. I heard something in the movie that has really stuck with me. Emma Smith asked her husband "Do you ever wonder if the Lord asks too much?" Joseph Smith's reply was one that came out of great faith and love of the Lord that we all should also have. He said- "I don't let myself." I know Joseph Smith really was a prophet of God and that through him the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and how I have the opportunity to read it every day. There is so much to be learned from this book and from the Bible that we could study them both for our whole lives and likely never fully comprehend all there is to comprehend in these two great books inspired of the Lord. I know that prayer is one way to receive inspiration but so is reading from the holy scriptures and from other modern revelation from prophets and apostles.

Some other events from the week...

All 6 of the Elders from my district and me and my companion sang in the CCM choir on Tuesdaybefore a devotional. We sang Joseph Smith's First Prayer of course in spanish though. We also got A TON of rain that day. Thank goodness my companion had her umbrella and I was able to squeeze under it with her. 

The other day for breakfast we had a Chicken Strip salad... yeah that will be one thing I miss about the CCM-having dinner for breakfast not to mention not having to ever prepare my own food. I have thoroughly enjoyed the comedor (that's what the cafeteria is called) here.

Another thing I will miss will be the devotionals we have here at the CCM. Basically they're usually about an hour and are either pre-recorded talks/devotionals from BYU or we have a live speaker. I always leave feeling uplifted. 

Gym time will also be greatly missed. Here in the CCM we usually have about an hour to do what ever and often times my companion and I play volleyball or shoot some baskets. Occasionally we have played soccer and once we played ping pong. There are always a variety of things to do. They also have work out machines we've used several times. It'll be interesting to learn about what the normal exercise activities are in my mission.

So I will be leaving the CCM at 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday... So basically I won't be getting too much sleep Monday night. We have to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of our flight time which I think is around 6 a.m. so it should be a pretty interesting experience. There are two elders who are also going to Kennewick with me and Hna. Safsten. It's funny because one of the elders that is also going to WA was the first other new missionary I saw because we both arrived to the MX airport at about the same time so we were picked up together. 

Well time is short, and it's crazy to think next time I'll be writing will be from Washington!

Love you all!
Hna Brighton                   Before and after haircut!




Hermana Brighton's District