Monday, April 6, 2015

week 26


How was your Easter holiday? It was interesting to note how I almost forgot about the Easter Bunny and eggs and candy and such. I got a package from the Leavitts with eggs and so that was a happy surprise/reminder. (Thank you!) Also at dinner yesterday my companion and I were given bags that had candy and eggs and such. :)
As missionaries we have been sharing little cards that say #GraciasaqueElvive or the english version is #BecauseHeLives because there is a little video that goes along with it that is awesome. http://www.mormon.org/spa/pascua  <----- that's the link in Spanish
http://www.mormon.org/easter<------and in English
The video helps us remember why it is that we celebrate Easter- because of the Resurrection of Christ. It was kind of funny because my companion and I were teaching a lesson and we were trying to figure out how the Easter Bunny and everything ties into the real reason for Easter...we mentioned a few things such as new beginnings (for the eggs) and how it's 'sweet' to know that we will live again (hence the candy) but honestly I'm not really sure about the Easter Bunny (though I could of course come up with some interesting ideas). Anyway, my invitation for anyone who reads this is to watch the 2 and a half minute video and just think for a moment about the gifts that come to us because of Christ and His example, atonement and resurrection.
This week has been full of little miracles here and there as well as several challenging moments. We have been helping a couple prepare for their wedding and then baptism and they will be getting married this coming Saturday and then will be baptized with their son Sunday evening. I am so grateful I have had a small part in helping them prepare to take these life changing steps. I am so excited for their future and all the blessings that await them as they continue to faithfully make and keep covenants. On a funny side note, this week we received a text from the couple saying they couldn't get married and we were devastated for them. After we had responded the best we could, several minutes later we got a text saying April Fools! Man that was the meanest but I have to admit pretty good April Fools joke ever.

This past week we found a couple people who are less active by pure miracles. One was from a referral that ended up not being the right address, but that led us to someone who is inactive and we were able to get to know her. The other person we found also came by way of trying to contact a referral. We went to the apartment and weren't able to get in and as we were leaving we started talking to this woman who ended up being a less active member and she took us to the door of the person who we were trying to find. He wasn't there but we were able to get the woman's phone number and we are planning on meeting with her later this week.
Conference this past weekend was incredible. I love how it focused so much on the importance of protecting the family and also not letting technology pull us away from what's really important in life. There were also several other talks that answered pretty directly other questions I have had on my mind. I loved the talk Saturday Afternoon by Wilford W Anderson so here is a link to it. ---> https://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2015/04?lang=eng&vid=4153714715001&cid=9
So on Saturday we watched conference in English but on Sunday we watched it in Spanish. I was very happy to discover that I really didn't have a super hard time understanding what all was being taught despite it all being in Spanish so I guess my Spanish understanding skills are coming along just fine.
Well I hope everybody has a wonderful week! Also I hope everyone can take some time to go back and read/watch some of the talks and put into practice the teachings of the wonderful modern day prophets and apostles. What they teach truly is inspired by God and if we do what they teach we will be following the will of God more closely in our lives and we will be happier as we are more obedient to God.

I love you all!
Hermana Brighton