Thursday, October 23, 2014

Week Two

Hello Friends and Family,

Can't believe it's been two weeks while at the same time I feel like I've been here for ages!!! As many have probably heard before, a day in the CCM or MTC truly does feel like a week and a week almost feels like a day looking back on it.

Some highlights of this week:

On Saturday an apostle of the Lord came and spoke in a devotional here at the CCM. Neil L. Anderson was the one who came and he focused on the Atonement of Jesus Christ in his talk. It was wonderful. Before the devotional he shook hands with each missionary. He had such a big smile on his face the whole time and he also was pretty funny. In the beginning he made a couple jokes, but not many laughed, probably cause they weren't sure if they should. He then said oh I see you all think I'm really serious with a big smile... that got some more chuckles. He then put on a totally straight face and said I am and stared us all down for a few seconds then started laughing. That definitely lightened the mood and then his talk was wonderful and uplifting.

I'd like to once again bear my testimony of the power of the priesthood, especially of priesthood blessings. I wasn't feeling very well and I was really congested. I got a blessing and by the next day I was feeling much better, not just physically but emotionally too. I'm so grateful to be surrounded by worthy priesthood holders all the time here at the CCM.

Sundays here in the CCM are wonderful, at least I love them a lot, because we get to not only go to our church meetings, but in the evening and afternoon, we have a devotional and in the evening we watch a few church films. I absolutely love this because I always end Sunday feeling refreshed and ready to start a new week. And can I just say? I LOVE Elder Holland so much. For the last two Sundays the devotionals we've had have had him speaking. (They're pre-recorded usually from old devotionals he's given in different MTC's and so forth.) Elder Holland teaches with such power and emotion and I'm so grateful for him and the example he sets. I have already learned so much from him and I hope to continue to be able to for a long time. Something he talked about in one devotional was how some missionaries can't wait to get home from their mission and get back to "real life." It was like he then stared us down through the screen and said "Missionary work IS real life" and basically told us to get used to it and love it. I really appreciated his talk.

On a lighter note, I just wanted to share something one of my teachers said. He was explaining that we needed to move our mouths more to speak correctly, then he moves his lips like a fish and says somos pezes meaning we are fish and we need to move our lips more. I don't know it was just pretty silly and funny in the moment. Hno. Soto says lots of funny things and the Elders in my district have a running quote book for him. My other teacher likes to try to say my name with a "Texan"accent, since I'm from Texas, which is pretty funny cause he himself has a totally different accent and it comes out sounding pretty interestingly.

Today has been great. Since it's preparation day we've been able to do lots of things including get laundry done, then my companion and I went and played tennis with a couple Elders in our district. If you know me, you'd know I do not play tennis... nonetheless, it was pretty fun. :)

I'd like to leave you all with a great quote from an Elder in my district. "Being comfortable isn't the same as being happy." I can tell you right now that sometimes being a missionary is very hard (ha and I've only been one for 2 weeks) and you are definitely NOT comfortable all the time. Often you get tired and I'll admit I get frustrated and pretty uptight and stressed, which before now I wasn't like that a lot... or at least it didn't seem like it. Although I have these moments, I also have never felt so happy as I have at times here on my mission. I feel like I am being stretched to my limit sometimes, but I know this is what the Lord wants for me. To learn and grow, like I never have before. I'm learning that I need to trust my Heavenly Father more than ever and rely on my Savior to get me though hard and frustrating times so that I can feel the peace and joy then both want for me. I know they both are happy I am serving a mission to invite others and help then come unto Them.

I love you all and hope all is well with you!
Love,
Hermana Brighton